In the past two years, the Nigerian music industry has been on the world map. This was made possible mostly through Record Labels.
Unsurprisingly, most successful Record labels in Nigeria are known to be owned by Northern and Western artistes and business moguls.
It may surprise some to know that successful Record labels in Nigeria owned by southerners exist.
From KARINAiBlog, we bring you top 5 record labels owned by people from Southern Nigeria.
These record labels are successful and have at different times left an indelible mark globally.
1. Supreme Mavin Dynasty, home to award-winning Rema, Crayon, Ladipoe, Jonny Drille, DNA twins, but to mention a few. It is owned by an indigene of Delta State in the south-south of Nigeria. He is none other than the ever-interesting producer and recording artist, Michael Collins Ajereh, popularly known as Don Jazzy.
SMD was founded following the closure of Mo’ Hits Records which was co-owned by Don Jazzy and his colleague D’banj on the 8th of May 2012. Recognized internationally with several awards and hit songs, SMD which is solely owned by Don-Jazzy is undoubtedly the biggest record label owned by someone from this region of the country.
2. Spaceship Entertainment, founded in 2015 is owned by Grammy nominee and award-winning artiste Damini Ogulu with stage name Burna Boy. He is an indigene of the oil-rich Rivers State, Nigeria.
The record label is run by Burna, his Mom who also doubles as his Manager, Bose Ogulu a.k.a Mama Burna and other relatives. Burna and the label have gradually risen from nothing to global sensation. Currently, with 7 individual awards, including the most recent BET International Award and his 5th Studio Album “Twice as Tall” Burna has successfully branded and sold his label to the world.
3. DM Records – Dem Mama Records limited, owned by another son of the South, Inetimi Alfred Odon with stage name Timaya, a native of Bayelsa State, Nigeria. As renowned recording artist and song writer, he has coached and groomed the likes of Runtown and Patoranking.
DM Records is also home to continental boy King Perry who was signed in 2017.
4. Made Men Music Group (MMMG), owned by Ubi Franklyn, a native of Cross River State, Nigeria.
Until the departure of award winning artistes like Iyanya, Tekno and Selebobo, amongst others, it was regraded as the largest record label from the south.
5. Grafton Entertainment, founded in 2004 by Tonye Ibiama a.k.a BIG T, a native of Bonny in Rivers State, Nigeria. The label was created to bridge the gap between the talents in Port Harcourt, the nation and the world. Its first artistes included De Indispensables, Lenny B and Tick Lips (a hip-hop duo). It formerly housed Mr. 2kay and is presently home to Idahams.
It is my opinion that the South-South through it’s sons and daughters has proven itself capable as these various individuals and their brands have done good work in shooting for the stars and taking Nigerian music to the world map.
They deserve as much credit as their counterparts.